Monday 20 July 2009

On perpetual motion

Some of you might have noticed my facination for symetrical shapes. Give me a ruler and a pen and I will be occupied for hours. The epitrochoid on the left is pretty much my definition of beauty. It is perfectly symmetrical and round. I do not understand the mathematics behind epitrochiods and hypotrochoids. Maybe one day I will? Another interesting fact about epitrochoids is that they are perpetual - once you have completed the cycle it will repeat itself indefinently.

The name of this blog used to be "Confusion, mostly" and that still holds true. But that doesn't really include all aspects of my life, or rather - it is too much of a simplification. As I see it life itself is a perpetual motion, as well as a series of smaller repeating cycles. Perhaps "Perpetuations" is a poorly phrased version of this - in fact it is even a bad pun. I think this is an accurate visualisation of how I think of life.


Confusing, yes?

One last note, physically there is no such thing as a machine that always produces more energy than is put into it. But disregarding the quantifiable - humans do this all the time, don't we? I for one seem to always produce more emotion and thought than I use :P

3 comments:

Rik said...

That's an interesting thought, really. Much of Asian philosophy sees time as looping, but seeing life as consisting of loops getting infinitely smaller and smaller...

Have you heard about fractal patterns, patterns that are self-replicating? Zoom in and arbitrary amount of times and you'll still see the original picture? Perhaps life has a fractal pattern, infinitely divisible yet never-ending.

Kat said...

Actually, the loops are not getting smaller. But they are very small and they overlap. And sometimes they are impossible to discern.

Yeonni said...

I've been thinking a bit about this. Truth is, I look at these two pictures, and they are beautiful in their symmetry of course, but I can't help think that they're *boring*. That they lack anything to keep me watching them for more than a second or two. The epitrochoid is slightly more interesting because it takes slightly longer to figure out how it hangs together, but that's it. Dunno why, or why I'm saying this though...

Your analogy to life as one of these though, I can very much understand and agree with. Bigger patterns that emerge out of smaller patterns. Self-repeating. Hard to make out sometimes. Makes sense.