Thursday 24 January 2008

The moralic Gilmores

As some of you might know I've been watching way to much Gilmore girls lately, I am currently halfway through the sixth season out of seven and I started with season one the week before christmas. Gilmore girls is a great show and there is a lot of things that I could write about and I have a list of quotes on my computer but all of that is, well, pointless if you haven't seen it. If you haven't seen it - do! In general the series is what people would call a "chick"-show, but when guys sees it they are always positively surprised. (So far I have never met a guy that didn't like it at least a bit.) But this is not what I was going to talk about.

Gilmore girls is a family show, wich means no swearing - unless it is absolutely called for. No sex-scenes or nudity (except for Kirk), they usually cut the scene before it gets to hot and then resume it when all is done and they are covered with sheets. People don't smoke - the few times that you see a person smoking it is because the character is to be portrayed as bad or decadent. In one scene they use a cigarette to show how Jess, a classical bad-boy, tries to make a good impression on Rory. The other two times I can remember seing a cigarette on screen is a rich and spoiled girl and her mother. I can not recall ever seing a statist smoking.

Obviously they are very careful to set a good example with the show and it is therefor I was surprised when I finally realised that almost every character in the show seems to have no problems driving after they have been drinking. They don't drive when they are visibly drunk but many times thay have had quite a lot to drink. I'm am not certain whether Rory, an extremely well-behaved girl, does it but almost everybody else does on occation. Logan, Emily, Richard... the list is long. They do reference to the concept of don'r drink and drive a few times though, at one point a minor character is pointed out as the designated driver - but he has by then joined the navy and is portrayed as recently mature and responsible. At one point Emily is arrested for driving under the influence and at an other time Lorelai makes a joke about it. That is all. And the thing that stands out most, in my opinion, is that Lorelai (who's major character flaw when it comes to marals is that she her relationeships tend to erode quickly wich might indicate that she does not take them seriously...) does it almost every week, after friday night dinner. And I know that she must be at least "salongsberusad" since her average intake of alcohol is at least two martinis and two glasses of wine in the course of about two and a half hour. I believe the limit is 0,8 permille in USA and with that intake Lorelai should have reached over 0,9 permille. In Sweden the legal limit for blood alcohol concentration is 0,2 permille - an amount that for most people is exceeded by drinking one beer (folköl).

2 comments:

Nightflyer said...

Äsch då. Det är ju allt det där som gör serien så mysig. Man vill inte se folk röka och hålla på. De enda problemen som fok har är andra folk.
^^

Yeonni said...

It is odd that they seem to think driving drunk is less bad than smoking... considering that driving drunk does kill you a lot more instant and dramatic. But I guess americans just like instant and dramatic things better.