Thursday 21 February 2008

I guess that's what happens when you lack direction

Someone [read Rikard] once [a few days ago] said that strange things happen to people when they are left alone for too long. I guess we all have our different quirks and that we all have our ways of passing time. Sara plays Donkey Kong. I make patterns. Sometimes I knit or sew (brodera) a table cloth. Sometimes I build perfectly symmetrical houses in the Sims. Sometimes I just draw lines on a paper.


I am always amazed when I realize that I have just spent 3-4 hours doing something that is so extremely monotonous without getting bored. I don't even get hungry. I tend to notice that I am getting cold or that my neck hurts, but that's it. If I am listening to music at the same time I have no idea what songs have been played.

Why is it that I can put such ridiculous amount of energy into something so utterly pointless when I can hardly motivate myself to read a textbook for school that I find really interesting? Imagine what I could achieve if I could channel just half of that energy and commitment into something useful.

Do you ever feel that your priorities are a bit messed up?

3 comments:

Sara said...

All the time. Especially when I want to be alone with my own thought, thinking about social situations in my head instead of actually going out and experiencing some for real. Is it laziness or something else that causes this mislead energy-waste though, that's what I want to know...

Yeonni said...

Doing something monotonous like that, I think it's a great way of relaxation, it almost becomes meditative after a while. I do it when I do dishes, by hand. As long as no one bothers me I can finish up only to realize I've been washing three plates in forty minutes. It's something really nice and calming to know exactly what to do and see the results growing.

And that's a nice pattern too. You can make a... sewing(?) of it! ^^

Riklurt said...

I agree. There's something Zen about the simple and relatively pointless. Everyone has those impulses. I think it's healthy to follow them up.

Terry Pratchett said that humanity's greatest asset isn't intelligence but the ability to be bored. I think there's a lot of truth to that.