Sunday 1 March 2009

Life at Locus

Life in the corridor is becoming increasingly interesting. At friday I spent an hour or so discussing Iranians with an Iranian, and he pretty much confirmed the image that Swedish media conveys, with a few differences. First of all, this particular person really don't like immigrants, especially if they're from Africa. He would not give me any details but he kept refering to some really horrible things that they have done. Also, he seems to glorify aryans. Apparently the people in northern Iran look like westerners, and he resents the arabs for coming to Persia and interminlge with the aryans and thus distorting their looks.

On Saturday the kitchen was full of people, mostly whom I have never seen before. They were having French breakfast (brunch). And a few minutes ago a German knocked on my door, asking for the difference in pronunciation of the Swedish word for the duck (anden) and the spirit (anden)... Anyway, this place would serve very well as a trainingcamp for language students. You have people speaking German, Italian, French, Persian, Finish and Chinese. And that's in my corridor.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Anden..anden..anden..anden...
I've never thought about this before. And yes, the difference is remarkably small.

Sara said...

Hahaha think about how confusing that must be in church for the uninformed. "I faderns, sonens och den heliga andens namn" Hahaha.

Yeonni said...

XD at Sara!! Yes, the only difference is the stress of the syllables, which is why swedish is haaaard :P

I wish I had that many different speaking people around. I love languages. ^^