Tuesday 1 September 2009

Hungary

I felt mainly two things when I got off the plane in Budapest; I am hungry, and I am warm. Leaving a chilly 15 degree Sweden at 11 am it was quite a pleasant experience to walk into a sunlit 25 degree Hungary. But since I got up at 4:40 I was also very hungry! After putting my bags in my room (the apartment is amazing!) I went to the university to register. Only I forgot to bring a map of the campus, and since all the signs were in hungarian (or Magyar, as they call it)I completely failed at finding the registration office. I'll have another go tomorrow. Now on to more interesting stuff; Magyar is a language that defies all logic. My street adress is Lonyay utca 13. It is pronounced "Loniai utsza"... In every language I've ever studied or know a bit of a C before an A is pronounced K, but not in magyar. (We'll see if I make an attempt at learning some) ...I was going to go on about something else but suddenly all 20 hours since I got up hit me. I'm off to bed. See ya.

10 comments:

Riklurt said...

Wow, that must be very fascinating and immensely frustrating - the language barrier, I mean.

What's amazing about the apartment?

Kat said...

It's newly renovated, with two bathrooms and one toilet. The ceilings are 4m high, and the furniture is new. The rooms are big (mine is the smallest, at 15 square meters) the air-conditioning is good. Also there are four more exchange students living next door.

Kat said...

I've been informed now that Hungarian, Estonian and Finish are closely related to each other. Hungarians can understand Estonian a bit, and Finish people can understand Estonian. But Finish and Hungarians can't understand a word of each other's language. Well, water is called the same thing, but that doesn't really form a proper sentence :P

Alex said...

Pictionary works in every language.. I "played it" when asking for directions from a local greek guy on my holiday this summer :p

Sara said...

Picture, want to see picture!!

Kat said...

Ah, wrong url. Here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6d0fd6888d23e7c66e7203eb873681294f75e0ed577325bb5be6ba49b5870170

Sara said...

Whoa, it has a really pretty bathroom. One can usually tell how good a condition a home is in by looking at the bathroom *nods knowingly*. The rest was pretty too though. I liked the kitchen lots.

Yeonni said...

hey what? no pictures :O

Kat said...

Oh, the link must have had a time-limit. You know what. I am going to email you the username and password to my mediafire account. I only keep photos there anyway, and I am not inclined to put nude pictures anywhere on the internet :P

Alex said...

Looks very nice!