Monday 24 December 2007

Poor little thing *evil smile*

Something really strange happened today - I got every single thing I had written on my wish-list. Not that it's really a wish-list any longer (the things I wish for are far too expensive) it's more like a things-I-need-list. Otherwise it was about just as half-boring as it usually is, not because it's not nice but because the whole thing is too hyped up to ever reach the expectations. Lunch at my grandmother was at least very entertaining this year, my one cousin had gone missing - noone had seen or herd from him since friday (!) and he eventually showed up just when we were about to leave. An other cousin had been working since 7 am after a bad nights sleep so she was tired and grumpy (she's usually very positive and nice) and strangely enough it was she that stood for the entertainment the whole afternoon. It all began when her mother happened to critisize the food at this restaurant that she had been working at and my caousin got really upset (because her new boyfriend was/is one of the chefs there).

Then (because she was tired) she talked a bit too much and she said things that didn't really add up and her two brothers and me and my brother teased her a bit. It went something like this: Cousin T (I'm not gonna give her name away): Can I give him some food? (him being my brothers dog) Brother: No, you cannot. [Conversation goes on a bit] Cousin T: Every time I bring McDonalds food home my cat sticks his head into the bag. Brother: "Every time", so you eat McDonalds food all the time? (In a teasing tone) Cousin T: No, I don't. Actually I don't eat all that often at all. One of her brothers: You don't eat very often at all? Only on thursdays and sundays, do you? Every wednesday you go and long for thursday so that you can eat! [Laughter] And then it went on and on one the themes of the food at that particular restaurant, her cat being spoiled, food in general, her boyfriend not cooking when at home and so on.

After dinner it got worse because my uncle joined in as well (they ate in an other room). Eventually we were sitting in the sofa and she pretended to sleep and someone asks: should we open the presents? answer: no T is sleeping. I: Don't worry, she'll wake up when she hears the sounds of presents being opened! Then everybody laughed and she couldn't hold her face straight and started laughing to. But after we had opened the presents and we had teased her a bit more she had enough and went to a different room. Perhaps we were a bit mean to her, but that is how we do it in our family. If someone is stupid enough to get upset when someone jokes around everybody starts picking at him/her without mercy.

At my aunt's place things were as loud as usual. We didn't talk that much but by now I was so tired that I didn't care. And if you wonder where my missing cousin had been I don't know. I do know, however, what he had been doing: drinking various kinds of alcoholic liquids and sleeping at friends' places.

6 comments:

Nallenon said...

The mean-part reminded me of when sis opened one of her presents from father.
"A headlamp? What the fuck am I supposed to do with that?"
:P

Yeonni said...

Wow, comments like that would knock my entire family off their feet. =P It's your kind of family I sometimes wish I had had so I wasn't so sensitive, but then again... no. ^^

Kristin said...

Oh, the nice thing is that I have both kinds. If I said something like that with my father's family they would choke. My dad does think it is funny but he never says things like that, he just laughs along with everybody else.

Sara said...

Oh my god. If someone said something like that in my family it would end with at least one person crying and the rest yelling at the person responsible... It's things like these that explain oh so much ;P

Yeonni said...

Haha, yeah. Damn, Kristin. Best of both worlds. Well. Our families reflect off our personalities quite well, for better or worse.

Sara said...

You mean to say that I would start crying at the slightest insult?? o_O

Well, yes now that I think about it I probably would, though not to your face :P