Tuesday 27 November 2007

Dentists and holidays

Went to the dentist today. First time outside Grängesberg. They went on about my teeth in the usual rambling of numbers that is impossible to understand. In the end they said the same thing as every other dentist has told me the last 5 years: Brush your teeth more carefully (tandsten), use floss och mouthwash (microscopic caries). In the beginning he was doing things that are not part of the ordinary routine, evaluating my bit and stuff. Is it just me or is there something insulting in having a strange person looking at your teeth and deciding whether they're good or not? Apparently my bit is a bit "deep" in the front. Hmph! It's just fine, thank you. It's worked for the last 19 years of my life. (okay not really 19 years, but still) Anyway, on the way home I was thinking a bit about my family and our economy. My parents' economy hasn't been the best throughout the years. Mainly because they took a heavy loan to build a house and shortly thereafter there was a financial crisis in Sweden where the interest was raised enormously. At the same time my father lost his job. The first holiday that I can remember my father wasn't with us because he had to work. The next year he went along, though. Every year we have been able to go on a holiday for at least one weak, but never abroad. All the excess money went to me and my brother's sports activities. When I was younger I was always very sad that we never went abroad but now that I have gotten more perspective I realise that it was much better this way, and I am deeply thankful that my parents were wise enough to value my personal development through the practise of sports (orientering and cross-country skiing) higher than the short pleasure of a charter holiday once a year.

3 comments:

Nightflyer said...

Äsch,jag har varit på en semester i hela mitt liv. Och det var i sverige med en liten detour till danmark i några timmar.

Yeonni said...

Yeah, holidays abroad are heavily overrated. It's like it's a status symbol, and that's the whole point. Because seeing other countries I think one has more use of when we're old enough to decide where to go ourselves.

Sara said...

Oh I know the feeling. But what Da-Ryun said.. gah I'm so lazy with my comments right now.