Tuesday 27 November 2007

Effective teamwork in the World of Darkness

* Morton raises his voice.
Morton: Hey, you! Watch it! Don't step on the cat!
* Karen Lennox surprised
* Morton looks at Jack, who narrowly misses treading on a fat, orange cat that lies asleep on a book on the floor.
* Jack Hudson looks surprised and looks down to see what Morton is talking about
Jack Hudson: Hm. My mistake.
Morton: So. Likely enemies. Who killed him.

[…]

Morton: Nah, I got a pretty good idea of who did it. Like I said, though, I talk when I get something for it.
Jack Hudson: Would you say that you feel safe, at this point in your life?
Morton: Safe? Yeah, depends on what you mean.
Jack Hudson: Because, if I were in your shoes, I most definitely wouldn't.
Morton: I don't have no enemies. Not as far as I know.
Jack Hudson: This is not the first time something like this happens. We've seen several of these crimes recently, someone out there really dislikes street-scum like you
Jack Hudson: You think these pathetic little handguns will protect you against that?
Morton: Hah. Why'd someone be after me?
Morton: I don't have anything worth stealin', unlike O'Malley.
Jack Hudson: Nothing was stolen from O'Malley's
Karen Lennox: How much is this information worth to you?
Morton: As much as I can get out of it.
* Morton smirks a little again.
Karen Lennox: I see
* Morton looks towards Jack, slightly more hesitant, it seems. "Why'd the niggers want to kill O'Malley, then?"
Jack Hudson: What makes you think they did?
Morton: Some sense of vengeance, maybe.
Karen Lennox: For what?
Morton: You're saying you'll put me under protection or somethin' if I tell you?
* Jack Hudson glances towards Lennox
Karen Lennox: That's a lovely cat you got there, Morton
Morton: 's a lazy old baggage.
Karen Lennox: He looks a bit uncared for, to me
Morton: Psht. I try to care about myself before the cat.

Kristin: can I use intelligence to know that he cares a bit about it, since he screamed in the beginning?
Riklurt: Yes, he probably cares about it. You should figure as much.


* Karen Lennox looks at Hudson
Jack Hudson: Mr Morton, police protection will be just as useless against this unknown threat as your collection of arms here, the only thing that can stop this is if we can get to the source

Kristin: what to roll for threat?
Riklurt: Manipulation+Intimidation, in this case
Kristin: roll 4#d10 to threat the bastard Kristin rolled --> 9, 8, 9, 6

Karen Lennox: Then you wouldn't mind if we confiscated him for maltreatment?

Riklurt: Um. I would argue that Jack's attempt at persuasion is more effective here, so I'm gonna have you roll at a +2 bonus, Jack
Riklurt: even though that's one helluva roll

Morton: Hey, hey, hey - maltreatment?
Jack Hudson: The way I see it here, Mr Morton, is that you have two choices
Morton: Cat's doing fine, lady. Cat's doing fine - he's all asleep and fat like old O'Malley himself. Nothin' wrong with the cat.
Jack Hudson: Either you choose to help us, and we will do everything we can to stop this threat before your precious neck is ripped apart. Or, you choose to act like a pubescent teenager, risk being torn apart, and Detective Lennox here will take your cat

Riklurt: Yeah, +3 bonus there Jack
Riklurt: because of the cat :p
Anton: Haha :D
Anton: Roll 7#d10 to save cat Anton rolled --> 4, 7, 9, 9, 3, 8, 9

Morton: Fine, fine.
Morton: Have some sympathy with a guy who just lost his job, here.
* Morton shakes his head.

[…]

* Karen Lennox looks at Hudson
Karen Lennox: Was there anything else?
Jack Hudson: We'll let you know if we have any further questions.
Morton: Right.
Jack Hudson: You've been helpful, it won't be forgotten.
Morton: So I get nothing for all this?
* Jack Hudson walks towards the door
* Karen Lennox pats the cat
* Jack Hudson looks over his shoulder
* Karen Lennox leaves
* Morton shakes his head.
Jack Hudson: Just in case, make sure to take care of the cat until next time, ok?
* Jack Hudson closes the door
* Morton looks at the orange cat, which just woke up.
Morton: Fuck them, huh, Charlie?
Charlie: Yeah. Fuck them.

18 comments:

Nallenon said...

I like the concept of Hudson, although I'm not quite happy with how I portrayed him yesterday.
I'll work on that.
To my defense, I was tired to begin with, and it took quite a while.

Kristin said...

absolutely, ans I had already played Karen for one session, in real life. that makes it a lot easier

Yeonni said...

Haha, cool. Poor Morton =P (and cats are not orange, they are Tabby, right Charlie?)

Nallenon said...

Wikipedia says
"The Tabby is a coat pattern and not a color. It can show up in combination with a variety of coat colors. "
And there are a lot more Orange cats on Google than there are Tabby cats ;)

Sara said...

It's so fun that just by reading it one knows who plays who, before it is stated obviously...

Nallenon said...

You did?
Huh, never thought about it. What gave it away? :)

Nightflyer said...

Write more scenes like this! It was fun to read. =D

I had no idea at all who played who -_-'

Yeonni said...

Haha, I totally figured out who played who too =P. For one, the names: that name is so you, Kristin! Then their ways to go about things: Kristin totally practical and calculating, Anton acting good cop. But what made me think "Anton" right at the beginning was: "Hm. My mistake." ^^ I could so imagine Anton himself looking down on a cat saying just that! :D

Nallenon said...

Haha, ok, if you say so ;)
Just to mock the Nightflyer a bit, I love how I've met you a Lot more than Iceye, and she is still better than you at guessing ;)

Rik said...

We should play more games like these. Sure, IRC is slowcat and not as funcat as face-to-face gaming, but you get pretty neat records afterwards.

I also seem to remember the Iceye speaking about wanting to participate in such-a-like game?

Incidentally, am I the only one who writes her name in determinative form?

Nallenon said...

I do it occasionally (I think) but not as much as you. I just do it when I think it sounds better ;)

The biggest advantage of IRC-gaming is that we can actually do it easily, until you invent that teleporter.

Yeonni said...

The Iceye has many forms! Muahahaha!

Sure, I'd like IRC, as long as I get to know a while ahead so I can make the time in my time and space.

But I suppose being too many on IRC totally kills all the action? Maybe two is enough.

Nallenon said...

Kills the action?
It can become slightly confusing, to be honest, since you never know if the other person is writing something, so it has happened that both characters try to do something completely different at the same time, both counting on the other following along. So that might become a problem if three or four people go different ways, but all in all, I don't think it will be all that much of a problem.

I do agree on the plan-ahead-thing, though, last time we played I had never really planned how my character was going to behave at all :P

Kristin said...

I think three is maximum

Kristin said...

If we develop a system where we warn people in the OOC chaat before we start on things it could be less confusing

Rik said...

I've tried this before, with two players and three players respectively. Three, I'd say, is an absolute maximum and Eva has expressed desires to join in as well which is a bit of a problum BUT

We don't have to play all of us at once, do we?

potrzebie

Nallenon said...

Well, I don't think we'll be playing all at once anyway, considering how busy everyone seems to be.


2.263348517438173216473 mm

Eva said...

Besides, we can be in the ooc channel just to check stuffs. And since I kinda know poarts of the plot I can pass 'til you've finished what you're intom atm :)